Lighter baked mushrooms
This recipe will get you off to a good start in the morning with two of your five-a-day.
Each serving provides 207 kcal, 18.5g protein, 19g carbohydrate (of which 5g sugars), 6g fat (of which 1.5g saturates), 2.5g fibre and 1.9g salt.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 large, flat Portobello mushrooms (150g/5½oz total weight), wiped clean, stalks finely chopped
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
- 1 stick celery, thinly sliced
- 1 bacon medallion (30g/1oz), roughly chopped
- 20g/¾oz fresh breadcrumbs
- 30g/1oz baby spinach
- 1 tomato, halved
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/Gas 7.
Heat the oil in a small frying pan over a medium heat. Add the mushroom stalks, spring onion, celery and bacon and cook for 1–2 minutes, or until softened. Stir in the breadcrumbs and spinach and season.
Place the mushrooms cup-side up on a baking tray. Season the tomato and place on the baking tray.
Spoon the filling into the mushrooms and bake for 10–15 minutes, or until they have softened. Serve the mushrooms with the tomato.
Keep a bag of ready-made breadcrumbs in your freezer so that you always have them to hand when you need to take out a small amount.