Make this easy breakfast muffin recipe the companion to morning tea or coffee. If you prepare the dry ingredients the night before, you can easily whip up a fresh batch first thing.
- 300g/10½oz self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 150g/5½oz light brown sugar
- 250ml/9fl oz milk
- 2 free-range eggs, beaten
- 100g/3½oz butter, melted
- 100g/3½oz toasted hazelnuts, chopped
- 25g/1oz dried cherries (or dried apricots, chopped)
- 25g/1oz dried cranberries (or raisins or sultanas)
- 75g/2½oz crunchy granola or muesli (optional)
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and line a muffin tray with paper muffin cases.
In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon and then stir in the sugar. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs and melted butter, then pour into the dry ingredients and quickly mix together. Stir in the hazelnuts, dried cherries and dried cranberries.
Divide the batter between the 12 muffin cases and sprinkle the top of each with the granola.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the muffins comes out clean. Leave to cool for five minutes in the tin before serving warm or at room temperature.