Ackee and saltfish
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp finely crushed garlic
- pinch thyme leaves
- 1 tsp finely chopped Scotch bonnet chilli
- ½ green pepper, finely chopped
- ½ red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 240g/8¾oz boiled salt cod, broken into flakes
- 200g/7oz tinned ackee, drained and left whole
Heat the oil in a frying pan and sweat the onions and garlic for 5 minutes. Add the thyme and scotch bonnet and sweat gently for a further 10 minutes. Add the peppers and sweat for a few more minutes until soft. Add the tomato and cook for a further 10 minutes over a low heat.
Stir through the saltfish and then add the ackee, turning it very gently through the mixture.
Serve the ackee and saltfish immediately on warmed plates.