- The Midsummer Marriage(160 mins)(concert performance)
- Paul Grovestenor (Mark)
- Erin Wallsoprano (Jenifer)
- David Wilson-Johnsonbaritone (King Fisher)
- Ailish Tynansoprano (Bella)
- Allan Claytontenor (Jack)
- Catherine Wyn-Rogersmezzo-soprano (Sosostris)
- David Soarbass (He-Ancient)
- Madeleine Shawmezzo-soprano (She-Ancient), Proms debut artist
- Sir Andrew Davisconductor
About this event
Last heard at the Proms in 1977, The Midsummer Marriage is Tippett’s answer to Mozart’s The Magic Flute, an opera rich in symbolism and psychology, trials and transformations. Paul Groves and Erin Wall are Mark and Jenifer, Ailish Tynan and Allan Clayton, Bella and Jack, two couples tested by a series of supernatural interventions on the shortest night of the year.
One of today’s leading Tippett exponents, Sir Andrew Davis conducts the centrepiece of this summer’s Proms focus on Tippett’s music alongside Britten’s centenary.
There will be two intervals of 20 minutes