- The Last Supper(110 mins)(semi-staged performance) Text: Robin Blaser
- Roderick Williamsbaritone - Christ
- Daniel Normantenor - Judas (please note change to originally advertised artist)
- Susan Bickleysoprano - Ghost (please note change to originally advertised artist)
- William Towerscounter-tenor - Little James
- Bernhard Landauercounter-tenor - James
- Jeffrey Lloyd-Robertstenor - Thomas
- Alexander Spraguetenor - Andrew
- tenor - Simon (please note change to originally advertised artist)
- Andrew Tortisetenor - Bartholomew
- Marcus Farnsworthbaritone - Philip
- Benedict Nelsonbaritone - John
- Toby GirlingMatthew - bass-baritone
- Matthew Brookbass - Thaddaeus
- Edward Grintbass baritone - Peter
- Sound Intermediasound design
- Victoria Newlyndirector
- Martyn Brabbinsconductor
Ghost, a representative of humanity, invites Christ and his disciples to join us in our own age for a ritual of reflection. The disciples rediscover their memories of events, joyful and bitter, and wonder whether Christ himself will appear among them… From this starting point Sir Harrison Birtwistle’s opera from 2000 (with a libretto by Robin Blaser) looks back over two millennia of Christianity. For this rare concert-staging of a work hailed as “magnificent and enthralling” (The Observer), the BBC SSO has assembled an outstanding cast including Roderick Williams as Jesus, with Martyn Brabbins conducting the orchestra and singers in some of Birtwistle’s most lyrical and gripping music.
The performance is to be recorded for broadcast on Saturday 28 January at 6.30pm, in BBC Radio 3’s Opera on 3. It will then be available for thirty days via the BBC Radio 3 website and the BBC iPlayer Radio app.
There will be no interval.