For the third in our series of two-piano concertos, François-Frédéric Guy and Armenian pianist Varduhi Yeristyan unite to give the UK premiere of the double concerto dedicated to them by Bruno Mantovani. In this rhapsodic work Mantovani has said that the ‘orchestral' instrument of the two pianos alongside the orchestra itself ‘offered me infinite sound perspective options'. When he refers to the ‘collision of energies' that fuel this piece, one cannot help but recall Beethoven's vivacious eighth symphony, and the explosive surge with which it erupts. Two master-orchestrators paint with the most sophisticated palette in Chausson's Soir de fête and Debussy's Nocturnes, conducted by Fabien Gabel.
BBC SO Plus
6.00pm Fountain Room
An introduction to tonight's concert by Dr. Caroline Potter, from Kingston University.
Free to ticket-holders for the evening concert. Limited capacity - please arrive early to avoid disappointment.
Part of the BBC Symphony Orchestra’s French series supported by Diaphonique, the Franco-British contemporary music fund.
- Adams's The Wound-Dresser & UK premiere from Ross Harris28 Aib 2018 Barbican, London
- BBC Symphony Orchestra performs Bernstein at Saffron Hall5 Beal 2018 Saffron Hall, Saffron Walden
- Rustioni conducts Avner Dorman's Mandolin Concerto9 Beal 2018 Barbican, London
- Alice Coote performs Elgar's The Dream of Gerontius16 Beal 2018 Barbican, London
- BBC SO Ten Pieces CPD Day for Primary School Teachers16 Aib 2018 Maida Vale Studios
- Sir Andrew Davis conducts a London Premiere by Raymond Yiu13 Aib 2018 Barbican, London
- Journey Through Music: Sir Andrew Davis conducts Elgar13 Aib 2018 Barbican, London
- Singers at Six: Choral Elgar13 Aib 2018 St Giles' Cripplegate, London