For the third in our series of two-piano concertos, François-Frédéric Guy and Armenian pianist Varduhi Yeristyan unite to give the UK premiere of the double concerto dedicated to them by Bruno Mantovani. In this rhapsodic work Mantovani has said that the ‘orchestral' instrument of the two pianos alongside the orchestra itself ‘offered me infinite sound perspective options'. When he refers to the ‘collision of energies' that fuel this piece, one cannot help but recall Beethoven's vivacious eighth symphony, and the explosive surge with which it erupts. Two master-orchestrators paint with the most sophisticated palette in Chausson's Soir de fête and Debussy's Nocturnes, conducted by Fabien Gabel.
BBC SO Plus
6.00pm Fountain Room
An introduction to tonight's concert by Dr. Caroline Potter, from Kingston University.
Free to ticket-holders for the evening concert. Limited capacity - please arrive early to avoid disappointment.
Part of the BBC Symphony Orchestra’s French series supported by Diaphonique, the Franco-British contemporary music fund.
Digwyddiadau ar y Gorwel
- Proms 2017 Prom 51: Sibelius, Saint-Saens and Elgar–Payne2017 Awst 22 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms 2017 Prom 56: The Bohemian Reformation2017 Awst 26 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms 2017 Prom 63: Taneyev, Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky2017 Awst 31 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms 2017 Prom 70: Missy Mazzoli, Bartók and Dvořák2017 Medi 5 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms 2017 Prom 45: Mahler – ‘Resurrection’ Symphony2017 Awst 18 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms 2017 Prom 39: Debussy, Ravel and Mark-Anthony Turnage2017 Awst 14 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms 2017 Prom 29: Mussorgsky – Khovanshchina2017 Awst 6 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms 2017 Prom 18: Sirens and Scheherazade2017 Gorff 28 Royal Albert Hall