For the third in our series of two-piano concertos, François-Frédéric Guy and Armenian pianist Varduhi Yeristyan unite to give the UK premiere of the double concerto dedicated to them by Bruno Mantovani. In this rhapsodic work Mantovani has said that the ‘orchestral' instrument of the two pianos alongside the orchestra itself ‘offered me infinite sound perspective options'. When he refers to the ‘collision of energies' that fuel this piece, one cannot help but recall Beethoven's vivacious eighth symphony, and the explosive surge with which it erupts. Two master-orchestrators paint with the most sophisticated palette in Chausson's Soir de fête and Debussy's Nocturnes, conducted by Fabien Gabel.
BBC SO Plus
6.00pm Fountain Room
An introduction to tonight's concert by Dr. Caroline Potter, from Kingston University.
Free to ticket-holders for the evening concert. Limited capacity - please arrive early to avoid disappointment.
Part of the BBC Symphony Orchestra’s French series supported by Diaphonique, the Franco-British contemporary music fund.
- Journey Through Music: Elgar and Dvorák26 Apr 2019 Barbican, London
- Sakari Oramo conducts Elgar and Dvorák26 Apr 2019 Barbican, London
- BBC Symphony Orchestra & Alexander McCall Smith28 Apr 2019 Saffron Hall, Saffron Walden
- Journey Through Music: Stravinsky’s The Rite of Spring3 May 2019 Barbican, London
- Sir Andrew Davis conducts Tippett, Szymanowski and Debussy17 Apr 2019 Barbican, London
- Shostakovich: The Year 195710 Apr 2019 Barbican, London
- James Gaffigan conducts orchestral works by Lili and Nadia Boulanger6 Apr 2019 Barbican, London
- Film: Nadia Boulanger – Mademoiselle6 Apr 2019 Barbican, London