Federico Colli takes on the fiendish Third Concerto. Sibelius’s haunting overture The Dryad gathers up moth-like fragments into a brief, halting dance. Soprano Lucy Hall and baritone Marcus Farnsworth join the orchestra in the spell-binding Andante pastorale of Nielsen’s ‘Sinfonia espansiva’. Despite its title, it’s not the longest of his symphonies, its expansiveness is rather an expression of exhilarating life-force, launched as it is with a volley of 26 ‘A’s, the key in which it eventually ends, rising into radiance.
NB There has been a change to the original billing for this concert. Federico Colli replaces Yevgeny Sudbin as pianist in Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No. 3
BBC SO PLUS FAMILY
Fountain Room, 6.00pm
A family-friendly workshop which introduces the music of the evening's concert. Suitable for newcomers and music fans alike. If you play an instrument, bring it along as there will be an opportunity for you to join in.
- Films: Camilla’s Classical: Anders Hillborg & Ivan’s Childhood22 Feb 2020 Barbican, London
- Chamber music by Anders Hillborg22 Feb 2020 Milton Court Concert Hall
- BBC Singers perform choral music by Anders Hillborg22 Feb 2020 St Giles' Cripplegate, London
- Talk: Meet the composer Anders Hillborg22 Feb 2020 Barbican, London
- Tito Muñoz conducts the BBC Symphony Orchestra14 Feb 2020 Maida Vale Studios
- Sakari Oramo conducts Mendelssohn’s Elijah7 Feb 2020 Barbican, London
- Eva Ollikainen conducts the BBC Symphony Orchestra at Maida Vale4 Feb 2020 Maida Vale Studios
- Stefan Solyom conducts the BBC Symphony Orchestra31 Jan 2020 Maida Vale Studios