- Peter Grimes(150 mins)concert performance
- Stuart Skeltontenor (Peter Grimes)
- Amanda Roocroftsoprano (Ellen Orford)
- Iain Patersonbass-baritone (Captain Balstrode)
- Rebecca de Pont Daviesmezzo-soprano (Auntie)
- Matthew Bestbaritone (Swallow)
- Leigh Melrosebaritone (Ned Keene)
- Michael Colvintenor (Bob Boles)
- Dame Felicity Palmermezzo-soprano (Mrs Sedley)
- Gillian Rammsoprano (First Niece)
- Mairéad Buickesoprano (Second Niece)
- Darren Jefferybass-baritone (Hobson)
- Stuart Kaletenor (Rev Horace Adams)
- Edward Gardnerconductor
About this event
First staged a month after VE Day, Britten’s searing psychological drama set in a claustrophobic Suffolk fishing community was the critical and popular success that effectively established a new kind of English operatic tradition.
ENO has kept the opera at the heart of its repertoire and tonight’s concert performance is based on a sold-out production hailed as a ‘superb company achievement’ on its first outing in 2009. Australian tenor Stuart Skelton once again heads the cast with his remarkable, multifaceted portrayal of the disturbed outsider.
There will be two intervals of 20 minutes
On the web: Tenor Stuart Skelton talks to Edward Seckerson about his journey from Rugby and Formula One to his repeated triumphs in the role of Peter Grimes in a podcast from The Independent.
Discover the Music Download a short audio guide published on the day about a key work in tonight’s Prom: Tom Service talks about Britten's Peter Grimes.