Beethoven and Ravel
Lionel Bringuier, Music Director of the Zürich Tonhalle Orchestra, is one of the most exciting young conductors to emerge from France in recent years. This is a programme to conjure with for a conductor of his contagious vitality: between Beethoven's spirited Fourth Symphony and the hypnotic extended climax that is Ravel's sultry Boléro are two 21st century French gems. Marc-Andre Dalbavie's Flute Concerto is characterised by transparency and by a fluent dialogue between soloist and orchestra, in which each finds resonances in the other. In Ravel à son âme (Ravel, to his soul), Gérard Pesson pays brief, entrancing tribute to his illustrious predecessor
BBC SO Plus Intro
6.00pm Fountain Room
An introduction to tonight's concert by Dr Caroline Rae, from Cardiff University.
Free to ticket-holders for the evening concert. Limited capacity - please arrive early to avoid disappointment.
Part of the BBC Symphony Orchestra’s French series supported by Diaphonique, the Franco-British contemporary music fund.
Part ofBBC SO 2013-14 Season
- Fawzi Haimor conducts the BBC Symphony Orchestra at Maida Vale15 Nov 2019 Maida Vale Studios
- Brad Lubman conducts the BBC Symphony Orchestra at Maida Vale19 Nov 2019 Maida Vale Studios
- Ryan Bancroft conducts the BBC Symphony Orchestra at Maida Vale22 Nov 2019 BBC Maida Vale Studios, London
- Family Total Immersion: Lift Off!1 Dec 2019 Barbican, London
- Playing in the Dark: Neil Gaiman and the BBC Symphony Orchestra12 Nov 2019 Barbican, London
- Sakari Oramo conducts Håkan Hardenberger in Haydn's Trumpet Concerto8 Nov 2019 Barbican, London
- Vaughan Williams's The Lark Ascending and Emily Howard's Torus1 Nov 2019 Barbican, London
- Dalia Stasevska conducts Rachmaninov Symphonic Dances26 Oct 2019 Barbican, London