Beethoven and Ravel
Lionel Bringuier, Music Director of the Zürich Tonhalle Orchestra, is one of the most exciting young conductors to emerge from France in recent years. This is a programme to conjure with for a conductor of his contagious vitality: between Beethoven's spirited Fourth Symphony and the hypnotic extended climax that is Ravel's sultry Boléro are two 21st century French gems. Marc-Andre Dalbavie's Flute Concerto is characterised by transparency and by a fluent dialogue between soloist and orchestra, in which each finds resonances in the other. In Ravel à son âme (Ravel, to his soul), Gérard Pesson pays brief, entrancing tribute to his illustrious predecessor
BBC SO Plus Intro
6.00pm Fountain Room
An introduction to tonight's concert by Dr Caroline Rae, from Cardiff University.
Free to ticket-holders for the evening concert. Limited capacity - please arrive early to avoid disappointment.
Part of the BBC Symphony Orchestra’s French series supported by Diaphonique, the Franco-British contemporary music fund.
Part ofBBC SO 2013-14 Season
- Lothar Koenigs conducts Beethoven & Schoenberg18 Jan 2019 Barbican, London
- Sakari Oramo conducts Richard Causton, Schumann and Brahms23 Jan 2019 Barbican, London
- John Butt conducts Bach's B Minor Mass2 Feb 2019 Barbican, London
- Karina Canellakis conducts Beethoven and a UK premiere by Thomas Larcher8 Feb 2019 Barbican, London
- Edward Gardner conducts Berlioz's The Childhood of Christ17 Dec 2018 Barbican, London
- Rafael Payare conducts Shostakovich Symphony No 57 Dec 2018 Barbican, London
- Journey Through Music: Shostakovich Symphony No 57 Dec 2018 Barbican, London
- Martyn Brabbins conducts Bax, Cheryl Frances-Hoad and Vaughan Williams30 Nov 2018 Barbican, London