This exploration of Andriessen’s rich imaginative world features the UK premiere of a major new orchestral piece, Mysterien, inspired by the writings of Thomas à Kempis, and heralded as ‘flawless, mature Andriessen’. Close associate Clark Rundell conducts his own suite from the surreal Spaghetti Western opera ROSA, Death of a Composer (1994), music, in Rundell’s words, ‘full of energy, wit and irony’. We begin with the third part of Andriessen’s absorbing opera De materie (1984-5) which explores the idea of the straight line, Mondrian and boogie-woogie piano via a geometric dance.
Save money and guarantee entry to all events with a Total Immersion Day Pass. Available by telephone or in person only and limited availability.
Part of Andriessen: M is for Man, Music & Mystery
Other Events on 13 Feb 2016
- Talk: Glanert, the man and the music7 Dec 2019 Barbican, London
- Semyon Bychkov conducts Detlev Glanert's Requiem for Hieronymous Bosch7 Dec 2019 Barbican, London
- Gergely Madaras conducts Mahler Symphony No 113 Dec 2019 Barbican, London
- Alexander Vedernikov conducts Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky18 Dec 2019 Barbican, London
- Chamber Music & Songs by Detlev Glanert and his teacher, Henze7 Dec 2019 Milton Court
- Film: The Curious World of Hieronymous Bosch7 Dec 2019 Barbican, London
- Family Total Immersion: Lift Off!1 Dec 2019 Barbican, London
- Mei-Ann Chen conducts the BBC Symphony Orchestra at Maida Vale28 Nov 2019 BBC Maida Vale Studios, London