Two works that radiate a very special Spanish sound in the same programme: Manuel de Falla’s ballet El amor brujo (‘Love , the magician’), heard in its longer, original 1915 version, sits alongside Enrique Granados’s opera that draws on his magical piano suite inspired by the paintings of Goya of the same name.
Spanish singers, including Flamenco star Maria Toledo in the Falla, and Spanish conductor Josep Pons guarantee authenticity in an evening of fabulous melodies and thrilling rhythms from a country more often portrayed in music by foreigners. So this is the real thing!
- Journey Through Music: Elgar and Dvorák26 Apr 2019 Barbican, London
- Sakari Oramo conducts Elgar and Dvorák26 Apr 2019 Barbican, London
- BBC Symphony Orchestra & Alexander McCall Smith28 Apr 2019 Saffron Hall, Saffron Walden
- Journey Through Music: Stravinsky’s The Rite of Spring3 May 2019 Barbican, London
- Sir Andrew Davis conducts Tippett, Szymanowski and Debussy17 Apr 2019 Barbican, London
- Shostakovich: The Year 195710 Apr 2019 Barbican, London
- James Gaffigan conducts orchestral works by Lili and Nadia Boulanger6 Apr 2019 Barbican, London
- Film: Nadia Boulanger – Mademoiselle6 Apr 2019 Barbican, London