Beethoven’s powerful Seventh Symphony is prefaced by a trio of beguiling modern French works in the first of two concerts pairing Beethoven with recent French music. The BBC Singers have had great success with Boulez’s now-classic work cummings ist der Dichter, which sets the poetry of ee cummings for vocal ensemble and chamber orchestra. Conductor Ilan Volkov, known for his high-voltage performances and radical programmes, presents the UK premiere of Hugues Dufourt’s piano concerto with Nicolas Hodges as soloist. Dufourt’s own world of sonorities reflects that of one of France’s greatest 20th century composers, Gérard Grisey. In his monumental early work Mégalithes, 15 brass players scattered around the hall hurl sonic clusters of shimmering dissonance into the auditorium – a not-to-be-missed experience.
BBC SO Plus Intro
6.00pm Fountain Room
An introduction to tonight’s concert
Admission free to ticket-holders for the evening concert. Limited capacity - please arrive early to avoid disappointment.
- Proms 2017 Prom 29: Mussorgsky – Khovanshchina6 Aug 2017 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms 2017 Prom 39: Debussy, Ravel and Mark-Anthony Turnage14 Aug 2017 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms 2017 Prom 45: Mahler – ‘Resurrection’ Symphony18 Aug 2017 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms 2017 Prom 51: Sibelius, Saint-Saens and Elgar–Payne22 Aug 2017 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms 2017 Prom 18: Sirens and Scheherazade28 Jul 2017 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms 2017 Prom 13: Malcolm Sargent's 500th Prom24 Jul 2017 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms 2017 Prom 7: Berlioz's Symphonie fantastique19 Jul 2017 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms 2017 Prom 1: First Night of the Proms14 Jul 2017 Royal Albert Hall