Brett Dean's 'The Annunciation'
Respighi’s intimate evocations of Botticelli’s art, including the central ‘Adoration of the Magi’, preface Brett Dean’s festive Christmas cantata, The Annunciation, inspired by and commissioned for the 800th birthday of Bach’s own Thomanerchor (St Thomas’s Choir) in Leipzig, where it was premiered. The Annunciation depicts the journey of the three kings from darkness into light, in a four-part work for chamber orchestra and choir. 'Dean succeeds in achieving something that cannot be valued too highly: integrity.' RBB Kulturradio
In the second half Josep Pons presents Strauss’s effervescent theatre suite for Molière’s satire Le bourgeois gentilhomme, a showcase for the orchestra’s stylish versatility.
BBC Singers at Six
6pm, St Giles' Cripplegate
As a prelude to tonight’s premiere performance of Brett Dean’s “Annunciation”, Peter Phillips conducts the BBC Singers in a programme of English and Spanish Renaissance polyphony inspired by the Blessed Virgin Mary.
- Journey Through Music: Elgar and Dvorák26 Apr 2019 Barbican, London
- Sakari Oramo conducts Elgar and Dvorák26 Apr 2019 Barbican, London
- BBC Symphony Orchestra & Alexander McCall Smith28 Apr 2019 Saffron Hall, Saffron Walden
- Journey Through Music: Stravinsky’s The Rite of Spring3 May 2019 Barbican, London
- Sir Andrew Davis conducts Tippett, Szymanowski and Debussy17 Apr 2019 Barbican, London
- Shostakovich: The Year 195710 Apr 2019 Barbican, London
- James Gaffigan conducts orchestral works by Lili and Nadia Boulanger6 Apr 2019 Barbican, London
- Film: Nadia Boulanger – Mademoiselle6 Apr 2019 Barbican, London