Brett Dean's 'The Annunciation'
Respighi’s intimate evocations of Botticelli’s art, including the central ‘Adoration of the Magi’, preface Brett Dean’s festive Christmas cantata, The Annunciation, inspired by and commissioned for the 800th birthday of Bach’s own Thomanerchor (St Thomas’s Choir) in Leipzig, where it was premiered. The Annunciation depicts the journey of the three kings from darkness into light, in a four-part work for chamber orchestra and choir. 'Dean succeeds in achieving something that cannot be valued too highly: integrity.' RBB Kulturradio
In the second half Josep Pons presents Strauss’s effervescent theatre suite for Molière’s satire Le bourgeois gentilhomme, a showcase for the orchestra’s stylish versatility.
BBC Singers at Six
6pm, St Giles' Cripplegate
As a prelude to tonight’s premiere performance of Brett Dean’s “Annunciation”, Peter Phillips conducts the BBC Singers in a programme of English and Spanish Renaissance polyphony inspired by the Blessed Virgin Mary.
- Proms 2017 Prom 1: First Night of the Proms14 Jul 2017 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms 2017 Prom 7: Berlioz's Symphonie fantastique19 Jul 2017 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms 2017 Prom 13: Malcolm Sargent's 500th Prom24 Jul 2017 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms 2017 Prom 18: Sirens and Scheherazade28 Jul 2017 Royal Albert Hall
- BBC Symphony Orchestra & Chorus 2017-18 Season BBC Symphony Orchestra in Bad Kissingen25 Jun 2017 Regentenbau, Max-Littmann-Saal
- BBC Symphony Orchestra & Chorus 2017-18 Season BBC Symphony Orchestra in Bad Kissingen24 Jun 2017 Regentenbau, Max-Littmann-Saal
- BBC Symphony Orchestra & Chorus 2016-17 season Sakari Oramo conducts Messiaen24 May 2017 Barbican, London
- BBC Symphony Orchestra & Chorus 2016-17 season Sir Andrew Davis conducts Bliss12 May 2017 Barbican, London