- Tragic Overture(14 mins)
- Violin Concerto in D major(40 mins)
- Five Orchestral Pieces(16 mins)
- An American in Paris(18 mins)
- Violin Partita No 3 in E major(3 mins)Encore
- Candide – overture(4 mins)Encore
About this event
Accompanied by an acclaimed ensemble appearing at the Proms for the first time, frequent guest Christian Tetzlaff revisits the demanding Beethoven concerto.
David Robertson has devised what might seem an unlikely second-half pairing but Schoenberg and Gershwin, both talented painters and tennis aficionados, became firm friends when relocated to Hollywood.
And we begin with Brahms, whom Schoenberg venerated, here at his most impassioned.
Discover the Music Download a short audio guide published on the day about a key work in tonight’s Prom: Andrew McGregor talks about Gershwin's An American in Paris.