- Descobrimento do Brasil – Primeira missa no Brasil
- Bachianas Brasileiras No 5
- Chôros No. 8, for two pianos and orchestra
- Symphony No. 9
- Chôros No. 10 'Rasga o coração'
The first Parisian performance of Chôros 10 provoked a storm, one critic writing, ‘it is an art ... to which we must give a new name.' This exciting piece uses a chorus instrumentally in furiously contrapuntal rhythmic patter, brass and wind providing bizarre bird calls and monkey chatter. There's no doubt Villa-Lobos was an iconoclast whose raw, zestful music gave expression to a vibrant new polyglot culture. Twice thrown out of the conservatoire he took as much from his experience as a café musician as he did from his beloved Bach. We welcome Celso Antunes from Sao Paolo to conduct the BBC Singers, and soprano Anu Komsi, who is soloist in the popular and beautiful Bachiana brasileira No. 5.
Other Events on 8 Mar 2014
- BBC Symphony Orchestra at Maida Vale23 Oct 2019 Maida Vale Studios
- Dalia Stasevska conducts Rachmaninov Symphonic Dances26 Oct 2019 Barbican, London
- Vaughan Williams's The Lark Ascending and Emily Howard's Torus1 Nov 2019 Barbican, London
- Sakari Oramo conducts Håkan Hardenberger in Haydn's Trumpet Concerto8 Nov 2019 Barbican, London