An evening of Gallic delights featuring Poulenc's most light-hearted and rarely-performed opera and Fauré's intimate, celestial Requiem. Les mamelles de Tirésias* is a setting of Apollinaire's surreal burlesque, in which ardent feminist Thérèse decides to become a man, Tirésias, and fight wars, leaving her husband to repopulate the country by giving birth to 40,049 children in a single day! Poulenc conjures up all the undercurrents in the poet's fierce, absurd and often hilarious lines. Canadian soprano Hélène Guilmette takes on the role of the truculent and unpredictable heroine. In complete contrast, the BBC Symphony Chorus joins the soloists for Fauré's much-loved Requiem, a tender work of consolation, played at his own funeral.
*Concert staging. Sung in French with English surtitles.
Please note Vitali Rozynko replaces David Wilson-Johnson as Policeman/Theatre Director.
Tachartasan a tha ri thighinn
- Proms 2017 Prom 18: Sirens and Scheherazade28 Jul 2017 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms 2017 Prom 29: Mussorgsky – Khovanshchina6 Aug 2017 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms 2017 Prom 39: Debussy, Ravel and Mark-Anthony Turnage14 Aug 2017 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms 2017 Prom 45: Mahler – ‘Resurrection’ Symphony18 Aug 2017 Royal Albert Hall
Tachartasan as ùire
- Proms 2017 Prom 13: Malcolm Sargent's 500th Prom24 Jul 2017 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms 2017 Prom 7: Berlioz's Symphonie fantastique19 Jul 2017 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms 2017 Prom 1: First Night of the Proms14 Jul 2017 Royal Albert Hall
- BBC Symphony Orchestra & Chorus 2017-18 Season BBC Symphony Orchestra in Bad Kissingen25 Jun 2017 Regentenbau, Max-Littmann-Saal