- Tristan and Isolde(284 mins)(concert performance; sung in German)
- Robert Dean Smithtenor (Tristan)
- Kwangchui Younbass (King Mark), Proms debut artist
- Violeta Urmanasoprano (Isolde)
- Boaz Danielbaritone (Kurwenal)
- David Wilson-Johnsonbaritone (Melot)
- Mihoko Fujimuramezzo-soprano (Brangäne)
- Edward Pricebaritone (Steersman)
- Andrew Staplestenor (Shepherd/Young Sailor)
- Semyon Bychkovconductor
About this event
The Wagner bicentenary celebration continues with the composer’s boldest fusion of legend and harmonic innovation, Tristan and Isolde, which forced him to break off work on his Ring cycle – near this very juncture in the Proms Ring, during the composition of Siegfried and before the final instalment, Götterdämmerung.
Semyon Bychkov conducts the BBC Symphony Orchestra and a cast led by Violeta Urmana and Robert Dean Smith in a drama where love and death become one.
There will be two intervals of 30 minutes
The Essay: Wagner's Philosophers - explore this series on the philosophical influences on Wagner.
Download a guide to Tristan und Isolde, featuring Antonio Pappano, Donald Runnicles, Sarah Lenton and John Deathridge.
Watch and listen to more music from Wagner from the Proms.