Elena Sharkova conducts the BBC Singers in a shortened version of Rachmaninov’s haunting all-night vigil.
Rachmaninov’s Vespers consists of settings of texts taken from the Russian Orthodox all-night vigil. It was one of the composer’s two favourite works, the other being The Bells, and St Giles provides the perfect acoustic for its rich, resonant sounds.
Written during the darkest hours of The First World War and a time of great uncertainty in his native Russia, Rachmaninov's Vespers are a testament to the composer's deep personal faith and love of the orthodox church.
Sung in Russian.
Hear more Rachmaninov from the BBC Symphony Orchestra and Chorus in the Barbican Hall at 7.30pm. Click the link below for further details.
Ticket holders for the BBC Symphony Orchestra and Chorus performance can claim discounted tickets for this BBC Singers at Six concert.
- French Baroque Music meets Indian Classical Dance19 Oct 2018 Milton Court Concert Hall
- Sofi Jeannin conducts Lully and Rameau21 Oct 2018 Cambridge
- Valentina Peleggi conducts the BBC Singers26 Oct 2018 St Paul's Church, Knightsbridge
- Sofi Jeannin conducts works responding to WW111 Nov 2018 Milton Court Concert Hall
- Julian Joseph's Tristan and Isolde6 Oct 2018 Southbank Centre, London
- Julian Joseph's Tristan and Isolde5 Oct 2018 Southbank Centre, London
- BBC Singers and BASCA present choral music inspired by refugees & the refugee experience21 Sep 2018 St Paul's Church, Knightsbridge
- Sofi Jeannin conducts the BBC Singers14 Sep 2018 St Paul's Knightsbridge, London