Elena Sharkova conducts the BBC Singers in a shortened version of Rachmaninov’s haunting all-night vigil.
Rachmaninov’s Vespers consists of settings of texts taken from the Russian Orthodox all-night vigil. It was one of the composer’s two favourite works, the other being The Bells, and St Giles provides the perfect acoustic for its rich, resonant sounds.
Written during the darkest hours of The First World War and a time of great uncertainty in his native Russia, Rachmaninov's Vespers are a testament to the composer's deep personal faith and love of the orthodox church.
Sung in Russian.
Hear more Rachmaninov from the BBC Symphony Orchestra and Chorus in the Barbican Hall at 7.30pm. Click the link below for further details.
Ticket holders for the BBC Symphony Orchestra and Chorus performance can claim discounted tickets for this BBC Singers at Six concert.
- Singers at Six: Music by Ralph Vaughan Williams and Emily Howard1 Nov 2019 St Giles' Cripplegate, London
- BBC Singers at Cutty Sark10 Nov 2019 Cutty Sark
- Semyon Bychkov conducts Detlev Glanert's Requiem for Hieronymous Bosch7 Dec 2019 Barbican, London
- A Big Band Christmas with the BBC Singers and Clare Teal13 Dec 2019 Milton Court Concert Hall
- Sofi Jeannin conducts Weir, Tüür and Messiaen18 Oct 2019 Milton Court, London
- The BBC Singers celebrate the music of Stephen Wilkinson11 Oct 2019 St Paul's Knightsbridge, London
- The BBC Singers celebrate the music of Leopold Mozart4 Oct 2019 St Paul's Knightsbridge, London
- Sofi Jeannin conducts the world premiere of Rachel Portman’s Earth Song27 Sep 2019 St Paul's Knightsbridge, London