Live in Concert: Handel's Messiah
Concluding a week of broadcasts from the Temple Winter Festival, David Hill directs the BBC Singers, the Norwegian Wind Ensemble and an impressive team of soloists, in the magnificent surroundings one of London's most historic and atmospheric churches. The Norwegian Wind Ensemble is one of the Norway's most distinguished instrumental groups, with a history extending back to the 18th century. Innovative and distinctive programming and a repertoire of music old and new is a notable feature of the ensemble's work. But it has also specialised in arranging 18th-century works for symphonic wind band. Anyone who heard Radio 3's live broadcast, last December, of Bach's Christmas Oratorio in the version created by the NWE will know how convincing, compelling, and virtuosic these performers can be. Tonight the NWE's players turn their attention to Handel's 'Messiah' – the well-loved choral masterpiece given new clothes here in this arrangement accompanied by wind orchestra.
Please note that Mark Stone has replaced the originally advertised David Soar.
Part ofBBC Singers 2014-15 Season
- Gabriella Teychenné conducts the BBC Singers22 Nov 2019 Maida Vale Studios
- The BBC Singers perform Advent Music29 Nov 2019 St Paul's Church, Knightsbridge
- Semyon Bychkov conducts Detlev Glanert's Requiem for Hieronymous Bosch7 Dec 2019 Barbican, London
- A Big Band Christmas with the BBC Singers and Clare Teal13 Dec 2019 Milton Court Concert Hall
- BBC Singers at Cutty Sark10 Nov 2019 Cutty Sark
- Singers at Six: Music by Ralph Vaughan Williams and Emily Howard1 Nov 2019 St Giles' Cripplegate, London
- Sofi Jeannin conducts Weir, Tüür and Messiaen18 Oct 2019 Milton Court, London
- The BBC Singers celebrate the music of Stephen Wilkinson11 Oct 2019 St Paul's Knightsbridge, London