About this event
Strauss at his most passionate (and lascivious!) bookends a concert full of spectacle and panache.
At its heart is the patriotic cantata Prokofiev drew from his music for Eisenstein's epic film about a medieval Russian hero's defeat of the Teutonic invader. That score had quite an impact on Walton's own wartime work for the cinema but it is the subtler brio of his Violin Concerto that is heard before the interval.
Midori is one of relatively few international superstars to have taken up a piece whose formidable technical challenges were actively encouraged by Jascha Heifetz, its original soloist, but whose lyricism is all pervasive too.
Other Events on 30 Jul 2011
- Prom 20: Horrible Histories – Free Family Prom11:00 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms Plus Family Poetry Workshop14:00 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms Plus Family Orchestra and Chorus: Horrible Histories14:00 Royal College of Music
- Proms Plus Family Poetry Workshop15:00 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms Plus Family Orchestra and Chorus: Horrible Histories16:00 Royal College of Music
- Proms Plus Literary: Musicians' Literary Passions17:45 Royal College of Music
- Proms Plus Late21:55 Royal Albert Hall