This programme pairs the startlingly beautiful and harmonically daring choral works of Lili Boulanger with music by her sister Nadia.
This BBC Singers concert offers a rare opportunity to compare the musical voices of two sisters – one a Prix de Rome-winning composer, the other best known today as a pedagogue, teacher to Philip Glass, Aaron Copland and Elliott Carter, among others.
Lili’s expansive gestures and bold harmonic palette – all the more striking when you consider that they are the product of a composer still in her 20s – are showcased in the blazing Hymn au soleil and the delicate sensuality of Les Sirenes, while Nadia’s more contained musical language is at its best in miniature Maeterlinck-setting Cantique and immaculate song-cycle Les heures claires.
Other Events on 6 Apr 2019
- Lili and Nadia Boulanger – Learning project workshop10:30 Barbican, London
- Film: Nadia Boulanger – Mademoiselle11:00 Barbican, London
- Lili and Nadia Boulanger – songs and chamber music13:00 Milton Court Concert Hall
- Lili and Nadia Boulanger – Talk15:00 Barbican, London
- Lili and Nadia Boulanger – Learning project performance18:45 Barbican, London
- James Gaffigan conducts orchestral works by Lili and Nadia Boulanger19:30 Barbican, London