Myth, music and dance meet in Ravi Shankar’s extravagant show, Sukanya, a mythical love story taken from the Sanskrit texts of the Mahabharata. After a terrible mistake leaves the ancient sage Chyavana blinded, the beautiful princess Sukanya finds herself marrying for the sake of her kingdom.
As a pair of swaggering, meddling gods watch this unlikely union blossom, will love grow in the strangest of circumstances?
Taken from the legendary Sanskrit texts of the Mahabharata, the story of Sukanya has been brought to life in this innovative production with music by Indian music legend Ravi Shankar and combines traditional Indian instruments with Western orchestra and singers.
This performance is directed by Curve Associate Director Suba Das and unites dance choreographed by the Aakash Odedra Company, production by The Royal Opera and the musicians of the London Philharmonic Orchestra.
Experience Ravi Shankar’s Sukanya, a special event combining myth, music and dance, that brings Ravi Shankar’s opera to life for the very first time.
This performance is a co-production between The Royal Opera, London Philharmonic Orchestra and Curve, Leicester in association with Southbank Centre, with generous philanthropic support from Arts Council England and the Bagri Foundation.
Part ofBBC Singers 2016-17 Season
- Singers at Six: Music by Ralph Vaughan Williams and Emily Howard1 Nov 2019 St Giles' Cripplegate, London
- BBC Singers at Cutty Sark10 Nov 2019 Cutty Sark
- Semyon Bychkov conducts Detlev Glanert's Requiem for Hieronymous Bosch7 Dec 2019 Barbican, London
- A Big Band Christmas with the BBC Singers and Clare Teal13 Dec 2019 Milton Court Concert Hall
- Sofi Jeannin conducts Weir, Tüür and Messiaen18 Oct 2019 Milton Court, London
- The BBC Singers celebrate the music of Stephen Wilkinson11 Oct 2019 St Paul's Knightsbridge, London
- The BBC Singers celebrate the music of Leopold Mozart4 Oct 2019 St Paul's Knightsbridge, London
- Sofi Jeannin conducts the world premiere of Rachel Portman’s Earth Song27 Sep 2019 St Paul's Knightsbridge, London