Audio clip information
Before the performance of his piece, Gabriel Jackson spoke to Christopher Cook about his Passion setting - commissioned by Merton College, Oxford, to mark the 750th anniversary of its foundation last year - and about its libretto, compiled by Merton ‘s chaplain, the Reverend Dr Simon Jones.
Divided into seven sections, Palm Sunday; Anointing at Bethany; Last Supper and Footwashing; Gethsemane; Caiaphas, Peter and Pilate; Crucifixion; and The End and the Beginning, Jackson's setting comprises passages from each of the four Gospels, interspersed with Latin Hymns and verses of poetry from writers including T. S. Eliot and World War One poet Edmund Blunden.
Part ofBe in the Audience
- Singers at Six: Tchaikovsky and Stravinsky3 May 2019 St Giles' Cripplegate, London
- Handel’s Israel in Egypt, with the BBC Singers and the Academy of Ancient Music10 May 2019 Milton Court Concert Hall
- Campden Music Festival13 May 2019 Campden Music Festival, St James Church
- Singers at Six: Mahler and Brahms24 May 2019 St Giles' Cripplegate, London
- Sir James MacMillan conducts the BBC Singers18 Apr 2019 St John’s Smith Square, London
- BBC Singers perform music by Victoria, Weeks and Schütz12 Apr 2019 St Paul's Knightsbridge, London
- BBC Singers perform Lili and Nadia Boulanger6 Apr 2019 St Giles' Cripplegate, London
- BBC Proms Dubai: Last Night of the Proms22 Mar 2019 Dubai Opera, Dubai