"The symphony should be like the world" declared Gustav Mahler. "It must embrace everything." And that's exactly what his First Symphony does: beginning with the breathless hush of a world before creation, and ending, trumpets blazing, with a roof-raising conquest of heaven itself. In between come all the dreams and nightmares of a young composer high on his own genius. You simply have to hear it live, as Juanjo Mena and the BBC Philharmonic explore it together for the very first time.
For Robert Schumann, on the other hand, the centre of the world was his beloved Clara. His lovely Piano Concerto is half virtuoso showpiece, half dreamy love-letter. One thing's for certain: Chethams alumnus Stephen Hough will know exactly how to lay bare its heart.
Digwyddiadau ar y Gorwel
- Berlioz, Ravel & Farrenc2018 Ebrill 25 MediaCityUK, Salford
- Debussy, Elgar & Bartók- Kendal2018 Ebrill 28 Kendal Leisure Centre, Kendal
- The Red Brick Sessions: Respighi, Tarrodi, Sibelius, Leinonen & Rautavaara2018 Mai 3 Peel Hall, University of Salford
- Sounds From the Other City2018 Mai 6 Salford Cathedral
- Strauss/Mark Simpson/Shostakovich2018 Ebrill 21 The Bridgewater Hall, Manchester
- Preview+ 21 April2018 Ebrill 21 The Bridgewater Hall, Manchester
- Prokofiev, Jolivet, Shostakovich & Haydn2018 Ebrill 18 MediaCityUK, Salford
- Tchaikovsky/ Shostakovich/ Ginastera2018 Ebrill 14 The Bridgewater Hall, Manchester