This promises to be a night of the sublime and the numinous, in which Messiaen’s visionary epic is prefaced with Mozart’s inimitable double concerto for violin and viola, featuring two of Europe’s leading young string players. The BBC Symphony Orchestra will be joined by students from the Royal Academy of Music for the performance of Messaien’s Éclairs sur l’Au-delà... or ‘Illuminations on the Beyond’. Scored for vast orchestral forces, this was Messaien's final completed work. Months before his death he spoke of its inspiration - ‘I imagined myself in front of a curtain, in darkness, apprehensive about what lay beyond: Resurrection, Eternity, the other life.’
BBC SO Plus Intro
6.00pm Fountain Room
An introduction to tonight’s concert.
Admission free to ticket-holders for the evening concert. Limited capacity - please arrive early to avoid disappointment.
Part of the BBC Symphony Orchestra’s French series supported by Diaphonique, the Franco-British contemporary music fund.
Part ofBBC SO 2013-14 Season
- Sakari Oramo conducts an Anna Clyne London premiere21 Mar 2018 Barbican, London
- Journey Through Music: Sir Andrew Davis conducts Elgar13 Apr 2018 Barbican, London
- Singers at Six: Choral Elgar13 Apr 2018 St Giles' Cripplegate, London
- Sir Andrew Davis conducts a London Premiere by Raymond Yiu13 Apr 2018 Barbican, London
- BBC Symphony Chorus at Maida Vale: Brahms A German Requiem11 Mar 2018 BBC Maida Vale Studios, London
- Joyce DiDonato performs in Dead Man Walking20 Feb 2018 Barbican, London
- Javier Perianes performs Ravel's sparkling Piano Concerto9 Feb 2018 Barbican, London
- Journey Through Music: Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition9 Feb 2018 Barbican, London