This kaleidoscopic programme will delight old and young alike, from Dukas's vividly imagined The Sorcerer's Apprentice to Bartók's dizzingly virtuoso celebration of the symphony orchestra. Far-Eastern colours and sonorities give Chinese-born composer Bright Sheng's music a distinctive appeal. Sakari Oramo is joined by distinguished Israeli-American violinist Gil Shaham for a performance of the composer's recent Violin Concerto.
BBC Singers at Six
6pm, St Giles' Cripplegate
James Morgan conducts the BBC Singers in this early evening concert exploring seldom heard Eastern European choral music.
BBC SO Plus Family
6.00pm Fountain Room
An introduction to tonight's concert for families. A free family-friendly workshop followed by the concert in the Barbican Hall for just £5 a ticket (plus booking fee).
BBC SO Plus Family is specifically deisgned for family groups with children between the ages of 8 and 16 and at least one of your group must be aged 16 or under. These concerts are not recommended for children under the age of 8. Call the Barbican Box Office and quote ‘BBC SO Plus Family' to buy your tickets, or book online and quote 040679 for a reduced booking fee. Please note that spaces are limited and tickets sell out quickly!
Tachartasan a tha ri thighinn
- Adams's The Wound-Dresser & UK premiere from Ross Harris28 Apr 2018 Barbican, London
- BBC Symphony Orchestra at Maida Vale2 May 2018 BBC Maida Vale Studios, London
- BBC Symphony Orchestra performs Bernstein at Saffron Hall5 May 2018 Saffron Hall, Saffron Walden
- Rustioni conducts Avner Dorman's Mandolin Concerto9 May 2018 Barbican, London
Tachartasan as ùire
- BBC SO Ten Pieces CPD Day for Primary School Teachers16 Apr 2018 Maida Vale Studios
- Sir Andrew Davis conducts a London Premiere by Raymond Yiu13 Apr 2018 Barbican, London
- Journey Through Music: Sir Andrew Davis conducts Elgar13 Apr 2018 Barbican, London
- Singers at Six: Choral Elgar13 Apr 2018 St Giles' Cripplegate, London