- Nixon in China(180 mins)semi-staged
- Kathleen Kimsoprano (Madame Mao)
- Alan Oketenor (Chairman Mao)
- Gerald Finleybass-baritone (Chou En-Lai)
- Robert Orthbaritone (President Nixon)
- Jessica Riverasoprano (Pat Nixon)
- James Rutherfordbass-baritone (Kissinger)
- Stephanie Marshallmezzo-soprano (Secretary)
- Louise Poolemezzo-soprano (Secretary)
- Susan Plattsmezzo-soprano (Secretary)
- John Adamsconductor
- Paul Curranstage director
About this event
Alice Goodman’s poetic, intensely original libretto is based on Richard and Pat Nixon’s historic three-day visit to China in 1972. Protagonists viewed initially as transcendent iconic figures are not so much satirised as seen for what they are.
The score pounds away eclectically with nods to Broadway and rock, Minimalism and Igor Stravinsky, but there’s no mistaking the identity of the composer, who joins us tonight, nor the colour and brilliance of one of the iconic works of our time.
There will be two intervals
Discover the Music Download a short audio guide published on the day about a key work in tonight’s Prom: Tom Service talks about John Adams's Nixon in China.