BBC Proms Dubai opens with British composer Gary Carpenter’s fizzing orchestral showpiece Dadaville, written for and premiered by the BBC Symphony Orchestra in 2015.
Mohammed Fairouz has been described by The New York Times as ‘an important new artistic voice’. His richly scored and emotionally charged orchestral tone-poem Pax universalis – dedicated, at the suggestion of His Royal Highness Prince Turki Al-Faisal, to the children who have fallen victim to global conflict – receives its UAE premiere tonight. Benjamin Grosvenor, a 24-year-old British giant of the keyboard, performs Benjamin Britten’s youthfully energetic concerto. The work was premiered by Britten himself as soloist, also aged 24, at the BBC Proms in 1938.
William Walton’s passionate First Symphony is an intensely powerful work that changed the face of British symphonic music at its premiere in 1935. At the age of 42, Edward Gardner – a Walton specialist and a long-time partner of the BBC Symphony Orchestra – has already made 15 appearances at the BBC Proms, including at 2012’s First Night.
Part ofBBC Proms Dubai
- Ryan Bancroft conducts the BBC Symphony Orchestra at Maida Vale22 Nov 2019 BBC Maida Vale Studios, London
- Family Total Immersion: Lift Off!1 Dec 2019 Barbican, London
- Chamber Music & Songs by Detlev Glanert and his teacher, Henze7 Dec 2019 Milton Court
- Talk: Glanert, the man and the music7 Dec 2019 Barbican, London
- Brad Lubman conducts the BBC Symphony Orchestra at Maida Vale19 Nov 2019 Maida Vale Studios
- Fawzi Haimor conducts the BBC Symphony Orchestra at Maida Vale15 Nov 2019 Maida Vale Studios
- Playing in the Dark: Neil Gaiman and the BBC Symphony Orchestra12 Nov 2019 Barbican, London
- Sakari Oramo conducts Håkan Hardenberger in Haydn's Trumpet Concerto8 Nov 2019 Barbican, London