French soprano Nora Gubisch can trace her ancestry right back to Ravel's close friend Ricardo Viñes, and her lustrous voice and idiomatic style make her the ideal soloist for his ravishing orchestral songs, Shéhérazade. We are treated to Schreker's iridescent overture for large orchestra and two poignant elegies by Busoni and Ravel before being plunged into the seething creative whirl of Schoenberg's masterpiece, the Chamber Symphony No. 1.
BBC SO Plus Family
6.00pm Fountain Room
An introduction to tonight's concert for families.
An introduction to tonight's concert for families. A free family-friendly workshop followed by the concert in the Barbican Hall for just £5 a ticket (plus booking fee).
BBC SO Plus Family is specifically deisgned for family groups with children between the ages of 8 and 16 and at least one of your group must be aged 16 or under. These concerts are not recommended for children under the age of 8. Call the Barbican Box Office and quote ‘BBC SO Plus Family' to buy your tickets, or book online and quote 040679 for a reduced booking fee. Please note that spaces are limited and tickets sell out quickly!
Please note that this BBC SO Plus Family event is more suitable for older children.
- Journey Through Music: Elgar and Dvorák26 Apr 2019 Barbican, London
- Sakari Oramo conducts Elgar and Dvorák26 Apr 2019 Barbican, London
- BBC Symphony Orchestra & Alexander McCall Smith28 Apr 2019 Saffron Hall, Saffron Walden
- Journey Through Music: Stravinsky’s The Rite of Spring3 May 2019 Barbican, London
- Sir Andrew Davis conducts Tippett, Szymanowski and Debussy17 Apr 2019 Barbican, London
- Shostakovich: The Year 195710 Apr 2019 Barbican, London
- James Gaffigan conducts orchestral works by Lili and Nadia Boulanger6 Apr 2019 Barbican, London
- Film: Nadia Boulanger – Mademoiselle6 Apr 2019 Barbican, London