- MeldBBC commission: world premiere
- Symphony No. 11, ‘Ixion’(5 mins)UK premiere
- Incontri(14 mins)UK premiere
- Cello Concerto No 1 in E flat major(29 mins)
- Symphony No 6 in B minor, 'Pathétique'(45 mins)
- Cello Suite No. 2(4 mins)Declamato (Encore)
About this event
Thomas Dausgaard’s audacious programme opens with the UK premiere of a briefly blazing, tuba-rich symphony completed in 1945 by the Danish maverick Langgaard, whose Music of the Spheres was such a highlight of the 2010 Proms season, there's also a UK premiere by fellow Dane Pelle Gudmundsen-Holmgreen.
The established masterpieces are Russian: Shostakovich’s hyper concentrated First Cello Concerto, in which we welcome Proms debut artist Daniel Müller-Schott, and Tchaikovsky’s most radical and masterly symphonic confrontation with existential despair.
Please note this event contains an update to the concert programme from that in the 2012 BBC Proms Guide.