- Fantasia in G minor, BWV 542(4 mins)
- Cantata No. 147 'Herz und Mund und Tat und Leben', BWV 147 – Chorale 'Jesus bleibet meine Freude' (transcr. Schmidt-Mannheim)(3 mins)
- Prelude in E flat major, BWV 552(7 mins)
- Chorale Prelude 'Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme', BWV 645(3 mins)
- Fugue in E flat major, BWV 552(7 mins)
- Symphony No 8 in C minor (1890 version, ed. Nowak)(80 mins)
About This Event
The Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra returns to the Proms for the first time under new Music Director Andris Nelsons.
At the heart of their programme is Bruckner’s Symphony No. 8 – a work as vast in scope as size, a mighty orchestral monologue whose monumental finale the composer considered ‘the most significant movement of my life’.
Before the broad unfolding of Bruckner, Michael Schonheit presents the meticulous detail of Bach in a series of solo organ works including the lovely chorale ‘Wachet auf’.
Approx. end time: 21:30
Image: Andris Nelsons © Gert Mothes