Clarinettist and conductor Michael Collins directs the BBC Symphony Orchestra and is the soloist in John Adams’s vibrant clarinet concerto, Gnarly Buttons.
Inspired by his father, a clarinettist, Adams's three-movement work traces the instrument from the 'cool' times of Benny Goodman through to Adams's father's struggle with Alzheimer's in a complex world about the pressing of buttons with a fascinating score for small ensemble including mandolin, guitar and two samplers. George Gershwin's jazz-influenced symphonic poem, An American in Paris, evokes the sights and sounds of 1920s Paris and Mussorgsky's enigmatic A Night on the Bare Mountain completes this afternoon concert at the BBC Maida Vale Studios.
This concert will be recorded for future broadcast on BBC Radio 3.
Admission is on a first-come, first-served basis. Please note that as not everyone who asks for tickets uses them, to make sure we have a full house we send out more tickets than there are places. We do our best to get the numbers right, but unfortunately we occasionally have to disappoint people so please arrive early.
Part ofBe in the Audience
- Brad Lubman conducts the BBC Symphony Orchestra at Maida Vale19 Nov 2019 Maida Vale Studios
- Ryan Bancroft conducts the BBC Symphony Orchestra at Maida Vale22 Nov 2019 BBC Maida Vale Studios, London
- Family Total Immersion: Lift Off!1 Dec 2019 Barbican, London
- Talk: Glanert, the man and the music7 Dec 2019 Barbican, London
- Fawzi Haimor conducts the BBC Symphony Orchestra at Maida Vale15 Nov 2019 Maida Vale Studios
- Playing in the Dark: Neil Gaiman and the BBC Symphony Orchestra12 Nov 2019 Barbican, London
- Sakari Oramo conducts Håkan Hardenberger in Haydn's Trumpet Concerto8 Nov 2019 Barbican, London
- Vaughan Williams's The Lark Ascending and Emily Howard's Torus1 Nov 2019 Barbican, London