An exciting and dramatic concert opens with Vaughan Williams’ music to Aristophanes’ play fizzing with exciting orchestral colour and continues with the lyrical virtuosity and tender romanticism of Sibelius’ much loved violin concerto played by one of the UK’s young violin stars. Massed voices then join the orchestra to perform the powerful and theatrical masterpiece by Walton telling the biblical story of King Belshazzar. The internationally celebrated Russian baritone Sergei Leiferkus adds his extraordinary voice to this electrifying tale. In this Year of Homecoming the concert is conducted by an old friend of the Festival, Ben Gernon, making his debut with the BBC SSO.
This concert will be recorded for future broadcast by BBC Radio 3.
- Proms 2017 Prom 14: Holst – The Planets25 Jul 2017 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms 2017 Prom 16: Mussorgsky – Pictures at an Exhibition26 Jul 2017 Royal Albert Hall
- BBC SSO 2017-18 Season Edinburgh International Festival: Schubert, Schumann and Strauss8 Aug 2017 Usher Hall, Edinburgh
- Proms 2017 Prom 36: Schubert and Mahler12 Aug 2017 Royal Albert Hall
- BBC SSO 2016-17 Season Glasgow Trombone Weekend: Mnozil Brass24 Jun 2017 Glasgow City Halls
- BBC SSO 2016-17 Season Glasgow Trombone Weekend: The Pines of Rome23 Jun 2017 Glasgow City Halls
- BBC SSO 2016-17 Season Glasgow Trombone Weekend: Beethoven's Fifth22 Jun 2017 Glasgow City Halls
- BBC SSO 2016-17 Season Dausgaard Conducts Mahler 7 in Edinburgh21 May 2017 Usher Hall, Edinburgh