Mozart's delightful early Symphony in G major, probably composed in 1766/7, acts as a short overture to this programme which continues with another work by this season's featured composer Richard Strauss; leading British pianist Martin Roscoe plays the mini-concerto Burleske. Young British conductor Andrew Gourlay brings the afternoon to a stirring close with Tchaikovsky's intensely personal last symphony, a work which was premiered just nine days before the composer's death.
The concert will be recorded for future broadcast on BBC Radio 3.
Part ofAfternoon Performance
- Proms 2017 Prom 14: Holst – The Planets25 Jul 2017 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms 2017 Prom 16: Mussorgsky – Pictures at an Exhibition26 Jul 2017 Royal Albert Hall
- BBC SSO 2017-18 Season Edinburgh International Festival: Schubert, Schumann and Strauss8 Aug 2017 Usher Hall, Edinburgh
- Proms 2017 Prom 36: Schubert and Mahler12 Aug 2017 Royal Albert Hall
- BBC SSO 2016-17 Season Glasgow Trombone Weekend: Mnozil Brass24 Jun 2017 Glasgow City Halls
- BBC SSO 2016-17 Season Glasgow Trombone Weekend: The Pines of Rome23 Jun 2017 Glasgow City Halls
- BBC SSO 2016-17 Season Glasgow Trombone Weekend: Beethoven's Fifth22 Jun 2017 Glasgow City Halls
- BBC SSO 2016-17 Season Dausgaard Conducts Mahler 7 in Edinburgh21 May 2017 Usher Hall, Edinburgh