- Sakari Oramoconductor
- Horn players of the BBC SOMartin Owen, Michael Murray, Andrew Antcliff and Nicholas Hougham
For his second programme in the season, Sakari Oramo offers an exhilarating menu of Beethoven, Schumann and Colin Matthews. Beethoven’s ‘Eroica’ Symphony was, and remains, a revolutionary statement of genius. The blazing ‘hunting’ horns in the symphony’s trio, perfectly echoe Schumann’s glorious Konzertstück for four horns, showcasing soloists from the BBC SO, and the heroic, romantic and soulful qualities of the instrument.
Traces Remain, a new commission from Colin Matthews, takes its name and inspiration from a book of essays by Charles Nicholl: ‘the sudden presence, the glimpse behind the curtain, the episode measured in minutes and preserved across the centuries’.
Part ofBBC SO 2013-14 Season
- BBC Symphony Orchestra & Chorus 2017-18 Season Sibelius Symphonies: Symphony No.527 Sep 2017 Barbican, London
- BBC Symphony Orchestra & Chorus 2017-18 Season Bruch's Concerto for Two Pianos & Haydn's Farewell Symphony4 Oct 2017 Barbican, London
- BBC Symphony Orchestra & Chorus 2017-18 Season BBC Symphony Orchestra at Maida Vale6 Oct 2017 BBC Maida Vale Studios, London
- BBC Symphony Orchestra & Chorus 2017-18 Season A Sea Symphony and Earth Dances13 Oct 2017 Barbican, London
- Proms 2017 Prom 75: Last Night of the Proms9 Sep 2017 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms 2017 Prom 70: Missy Mazzoli, Bartók and Dvořák5 Sep 2017 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms 2017 Prom 63: Taneyev, Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky31 Aug 2017 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms 2017 Prom 56: The Bohemian Reformation26 Aug 2017 Royal Albert Hall