‘This is the best of me … this I saw and knew; this, if anything of mine, is worth your memory.’
Elgar recognised the value of his masterpiece, The Dream of Gerontius, and quoted these lines from Ruskin at the end of the manuscript. His setting of Newman’s poem, which follows the journey of man’s soul into death and beyond, is considered by many to be his greatest choral achievement. For this and The Apostles (see 12 April), leading Elgarian Sir Andrew Davis conducts a superlative cast, comprising Sarah Connolly, Brindley Sherratt and Australian tenor Stuart Skelton with the BBC Symphony Chorus.
Please note that David Soar has replaced Brindley Sherratt for this performance.
Digwyddiadau ar y Gorwel
- Proms 2017 Prom 1: First Night of the Proms2017 Gorff 14 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms 2017 Prom 7: Berlioz's Symphonie fantastique2017 Gorff 19 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms 2017 Prom 13: Malcolm Sargent's 500th Prom2017 Gorff 24 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms 2017 Prom 18: Sirens and Scheherazade2017 Gorff 28 Royal Albert Hall
- BBC Symphony Orchestra & Chorus 2017-18 Season BBC Symphony Orchestra in Bad Kissingen2017 Meh 25 Regentenbau, Max-Littmann-Saal
- BBC Symphony Orchestra & Chorus 2017-18 Season BBC Symphony Orchestra in Bad Kissingen2017 Meh 24 Regentenbau, Max-Littmann-Saal
- BBC Symphony Orchestra & Chorus 2016-17 season Sakari Oramo conducts Messiaen2017 Mai 24 Barbican, London
- BBC Symphony Orchestra & Chorus 2016-17 season Sir Andrew Davis conducts Bliss2017 Mai 12 Barbican, London