The Festival's concert series at the Usher Hall concludes in epic style, with a blazing confrontation between darkness and light given by the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra under Prinicipal Guest Conductor Ilan Volkov.
Edinburgh International Festival Director and composer Sir Jonathan Mills's oratorio Sandakan Threnody honours the 2,500 British and Australian prisoners of war who lost their lives in the death marches in North Borneo during the Second World War.
By contrast, Janáček's Glagolitic Mass is a joyous affirmation of life. A cast of renowned international singers, the full force of the Edinburgh Festival Chorus and acclaimed organist Thomas Trotter bring the Festival to a spectacular, jubilant close.
Part ofEdinburgh International Festival
- BBC SSO 2017-18 Season Edinburgh International Festival: 70th Anniversary Celebration27 Aug 2017 Usher Hall, Edinburgh
- Proms 2017 Proms in the Park Scotland9 Sep 2017 Glasgow Green
- BBC SSO 2017-18 Season Lammermuir Festival 201715 Sep 2017 St Mary's Church, Haddington
- BBC SSO 2017-18 Season Opening Night Composer Roots: Beethoven’s Ninth21 Sep 2017 Glasgow City Halls
- BBC SSO 2017-18 Season Edinburgh International Festival: Festival Firsts19 Aug 2017 Usher Hall, Edinburgh
- Proms 2017 Prom 37: Rachmaninov – Piano Concerto No. 313 Aug 2017 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms 2017 Prom 36: Schubert and Mahler12 Aug 2017 Royal Albert Hall
- BBC SSO 2017-18 Season Edinburgh International Festival: Schubert, Schumann and Strauss8 Aug 2017 Usher Hall, Edinburgh