- Hungarian Rhapsody No. 1 in C sharp minor(14 mins)
- Hungarian Dance No. 1 in G minor(4 mins)
- Hungarian Rhapsody No. 3 in B flat major(5 mins)
- Zigeunerweisen(9 mins)
- Hungarian Dance No. 11 in C minor(4 mins)
- Symphony No 1 in C minor(46 mins)
About This Event
Hungarian folk tunes run through the veins of Iván Fischer and the Budapest Festival Orchestra, while Gypsy rhythms set their pulses dancing.
This concert – a true celebration of Hungary’s national music – traces the development of folk songs and dance, from their colourful, rough-hewn originals into virtuosic concert-hall reimaginings by Liszt, Brahms and Sarasate.
In the second half comes Brahms’s dramatic First Symphony, whose darkness and drama eventually give way to an ending of transcendent musical triumph.
Image: Iván Fischer © Ákos Stiller