- Christmas Oratorio, BWV 248(selection)
The Christmas Oratorio has always been a favourite with concert audiences as well as church-goers. Bach’s seasonal masterpiece tells the story of Christ’s birth, using passages from the Gospels interspersed with arias and choruses to illustrate the narrative. Here, parts 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 are performed by the BBC Singers along with a stellar cast of soloists, including tenor James Gilchrist as the Evangelist. Please Note (08/12/15) tenor Ben Johnson who was to have sung in this performance is unwell; James Gilchrist will now also sing the parts which Ben Johnson would have sung.
Cantata 1 Jauchzet, frohlocket, auf, preiset die Tage (c.27’)
Cantata 2 Und es waren Hirten in derselben Gegend (c.32’)
Cantata 3 Herrscher des Himmels, erhöre das Lallen (c.26’)
Cantata 5 Ehre sei dir, Gott, gesungen (c.27’)
Cantata 6 Herr, wenn die stolzen Feinde schnauben (c.31’)
This concert is scheduled to be broadcast live on BBC Radio 3 and will run from 2.00pm to shortly before 5.00pm. There will be one interval of approximately 20 minutes. The performance will be sung in German.
- St Magnus International Festival - Concert One21 Jun 2019 St Magnus Cathedral
- St Magnus International Festival - Concert Two22 Jun 2019 Pickaquoy Centre Arena
- St Magnus International Festival - Concert Three23 Jun 2019 Pickaquoy Centre Arena
- Prom 19: Strauss, Schumann & MacMillan2 Aug 2019 Royal Albert Hall