- Notations 2, 11 & 10 (arr. J. Schöllhorn)(3 mins)UK premiere
- La treizième (after Boulez)(1 mins)UK premiere
- Ophiocordyceps unilateralis s.l.(7 mins)BBC commission: world premiere
- Wanderlied(12 mins)UK premiere
- Hammer of Solitude(7 mins)BBC commission: world premiere
- Dérive 2(45 mins)
About this event
French conductor Franck Ollu makes his Proms debut, directing the Birmingham Contemporary Music Group in the first of two concerts celebrating composer Pierre Boulez’s 90th-birthday year. Boulez’s own Notations – written while he was still a student – sits alongside his Dérive 2, both works embedded in the ‘family tree’ of a composer whose works interconnect in ever-evolving ways.
The concert also features Wanderlied for cello and ensemble by Boulez’s French-American contemporary Betsy Jolas, as well as music by two young composers new to the Proms: Shiori Usui and Joanna Lee.
There will be no interval