About This Event
Admired by Adrian Boult and Thomas Beecham, and counting Tchaikovsky among her personal friends and supporters, composer-suffragette Ethel Smyth was a pioneer both in and out of the concert hall. Her Mass in D, fittingly performed in the centenary year of women’s suffrage, is a major work whose highlights include the blazing Sanctus and a delicately lovely Benedictus.
It is paired with the heart-on-sleeve heroics of Tchaikovsky’s First Piano Concerto for which former BBC New Generation Artist Pavel Kolesnikov is the soloist, a young Russian pianist whose free-spirited energy and conviction is a natural fit for this repertoire.
- Sakari Oramo conducts Mahler’s Symphony No. 63 Oct 2020 Barbican, London
- Singers at Six: Goethe in Song9 Oct 2020 St Giles' Cripplegate, London
- BBC Symphony Orchestra with the Melodica Men9 Oct 2020 Barbican, London
- Lionel Bringuier conducts Prokofiev’s Symphony No. 416 Oct 2020 Barbican, London
- Cancelled: Joby Talbot’s Everest20 Jun 2020 Barbican, London
- Cancelled: Sakari Oramo conducts Stravinsky, Sibelius and Elgar22 May 2020 Barbican, London
- Cancelled: BBC Symphony Orchestra at Newbury Spring Festival9 May 2020 St Nicolas Church, Newbury
- Cancelled: Paul Lewis performs Beethoven Piano Concerto No.47 May 2020 Barbican, London