- By the Sleepy Lagoon(4 mins)
- Romeo and Juliet – Dance of the Knights(5 mins)
- Toccata and Fugue in D minor, BWV 565 (orch. Henry Wood)(9 mins)
- Cello Concerto in E minor - I. Adagio - Moderato(8 mins)
- The Song of Hiawatha, No 2 'The Death of Minnehaha'(6 mins)
- Messiah, HWV 56(7 mins)two choruses
- Match of the Day – theme(3 mins)
- Piano Concerto No 5 in E-flat major 'Emperor' - I. Allegro(20 mins)
- Tosca(7 mins)Two opera arias
- March 'The Dambusters'(4 mins)
About this event
In a celebration of the 70th anniversary of BBC Radio 4’s Desert Island Discs, Kirsty Young interviews guests from the series and introduces the most popular music choices, including Bach’s Toccata and Fugue in D minor (BWV 565), Coates’s ‘The Dam Busters’ March and The Sleepy Lagoon; and excerpts from Beethoven’s ‘Emperor’ Concerto, Coleridge-Taylor’s The Death of Minnehaha, Elgar’s Cello Concerto, Handel’s Messiah, Puccini’s Madam Butterfly and Tosca, plus arrangements of favourite Beatles songs.
Kirsty Young presenter
Ailish Tynan soprano
Nicolas Altstaedt cello
Peter Donohoe piano
Wayne Marshall organ
Sir Willard White bass-baritone
Simon Butteriss baritone
Anna-Jane Casey vocalist
Huddersfield Choral Society
BBC Concert Orchestra
Keith Lockhart conductor
There will be one interval
Discover the Music Download a short audio guide published on the day about a key work in tonight’s Prom: Suzy Klein talks about Coleridge-Taylor’s The Death of Minnehaha.
Listen to Kirsty Young talking about the special BBC Prom to mark 70 years of Desert Island Discs. Kirsty reveals what will be in store on the night and gives her thoughts as to why the programme is still so popular.
Join in! Share the moment with the Desert Island Discs team's live blog running throughout the concert.