- The Silver Tassie
About This Event
Sean O’Casey’s provocative 1928 play The Silver Tassie pries open the wound of the First World War and peers unblinkingly into its horrifying depths. The futility of war and its painful human cost is conveyed with even greater intensity in Mark-Anthony Turnage’s beautifully crafted operatic adaptation, which explores what happens when young, football-mad Irishman Harry comes back from the war in a wheelchair.
An all-star British cast has been assembled for this first UK revival of the opera since its 2000 premiere, including John Tomlinson, Susan Bickley, Sally Matthews and Louise Alder, with rising young baritone Ashley Riches as Harry. The performance will be conducted by Ryan Wigglesworth.
Sung in English, with surtitles.
Other Events on 10 Nov 2018
- Film: The Poet Who Loved The War - Ivor Gurney10:45 Barbican, London
- In Remembrance World War I Talk: Soldier Composers of WW113:00 Barbican, London
- In Remembrance World War I: Vocal and Chamber music15:00 Milton Court
- Free Performance: Memorial Ground17:00 Barbican, London
- Talk: An introduction to The Silver Tassie17:30 Barbican, London
- Free Performance: Memorial Ground18:10 Barbican, London
- Cancelled: Sakari Oramo conducts Stravinsky, Sibelius and Elgar22 May 2020 Barbican, London
- Cancelled: BBC Symphony Orchestra at Newbury Spring Festival9 May 2020 St Nicolas Church, Newbury
- Cancelled: Paul Lewis performs Beethoven Piano Concerto No.47 May 2020 Barbican, London
- Cancelled: David Walliams and the BBC Symphony Orchestra2 May 2020 Barbican, London