- The Unanswered Question(6 mins)
- the last minutes of inhumanity(5 mins)world premiere
- Verdala(5 mins)world premiere
- Gefallen(5 mins)world premiere
- We Wept(5 mins)world premiere
- Symphonies of Wind Instruments (1947 version)(9 mins)
- Et exspecto resurrectionem mortuorum(35 mins)
About This Event
The Proms returns to Camden’s Roundhouse – a former railway engine shed reinvented as a spectacular contemporary space – with a programme of 20th- and 21st-century works.
Composer-conductor George Benjamin directs new-music specialists, the London Sinfonietta – celebrating its 50th anniversary this year – in a concert that continues our series marking 100 years since the end of the First World War.
Alongside a quartet of war-themed premieres (co-commissioned with 14–18 NOW), the programme features Stravinsky’s homage to Debussy, the elegant Symphonies of Wind Instruments; Messiaen’s monumental tribute to the dead of both world wars, Et exspecto resurrectionem mortuorum, and Charles Ives’s The Unanswered Question, whose haunting solo trumpet famously raises ‘the perennial question of existence’.
There will be one interval
Image: George Benjamin © Javier del Real/Teatro Real