- Der Freischütz(135 mins)(French version, 1841, with recitatives by Berlioz; concert performance)
- Andrew Kennedytenor (Max)
- Samuel Evansbaritone (Kilian)
- Matthew Brookbass-baritone (Kuno)
- Gidon Saksbass (Kaspar)
- Virginie Pochonsoprano (Ännchen)
- Sophie Karthäusersoprano (Agathe)
- Christian Pelissierspeaker (Samiel)
- Robert Daviesbaritone (Ottokar)
- Luc Bertin-Hugaultbass (Hermit)
- John Eliot Gardinerconductor
- Charmian Bedfordsoprano (Bridesmaids chorus)
- Katy Hillsoprano (Bridesmaids chorus)
- Lucy Pagesoprano (Bridesmaids chorus)
- Lucy Robertssoprano (Bridesmaids chorus)
- Vanessa Heinealto (Bridesmaids chorus)
- Chloe Morganalto (Bridesmaids chorus)
- Kate Symonds-Joyalto (Bridesmaids chorus)
About this event
Sir John Eliot Gardiner and his team have recently been staging Berlioz's rarely performed take on Weber's Der Freischütz at the Opéra Comique in Paris.
As originally composed, the work has spoken dialogue in German but, for the Paris production of 1841, Berlioz replaced the dialogue with recitative as well as adding the ballet expected by French audiences at the time.
This is the most familiar part of his revision today, an orchestration of Weber's Invitation to the Dance. Tonight's rendition of the complete opera in Berlioz's reconfiguration is its first outing at the Proms.
There will be one interval