Ancient and modern meet in an intriguing programme that folds time back across the centuries, juxtaposing Varèse, Machaut, Byrd and Birtwistle.
Simon Rattle has long championed Sir Harrison Birtwistle’s music. Now Birtwistle returns the compliment with a personally-curated musical greeting.
In his first concerts with the LSO, Rattle reaffirms his commitment to the powerful, unmistakably personal music of Harrison Birtwistle. Birtwistle’s own vocal music – and that of his forebears – forms the heart of this musical tribute from composer to conductor.
Martyn Brabbins conducts the BBC Singers in the intimate but atmospheric space of Milton Court, in a work that they co-commissioned: the poignant and profoundly beautiful Moth Requiem of 2012. But Birtwistle layers the concert with memories and echoing voices from across eight centuries - from Machaut to Byrd and Varèse. A programme as subtle and provocative as one of Rattle’s own.
Come along at 7.10pm to hear the culmination of a BBC Singers learning project in the foyer.
- Julian Joseph's Tristan and Isolde5 Oct 2018 Southbank Centre, London
- Julian Joseph's Tristan and Isolde6 Oct 2018 Southbank Centre, London
- Sofi Jeannin conducts Lully and Rameau19 Oct 2018 Milton Court Concert Hall
- Sofi Jeannin conducts works responding to WW111 Nov 2018 Milton Court Concert Hall
- BBC Singers and BASCA present choral music inspired by refugees & the refugee experience21 Sep 2018 St Paul's Church, Knightsbridge
- Sofi Jeannin conducts the BBC Singers14 Sep 2018 St Paul's Knightsbridge, London
- Prom 75: Last Night of the Proms8 Sep 2018 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms at ... Alexandra Palace1 Sep 2018 Alexandra Palace