- The Apostles(120 mins)
- Rebecca Evanssoprano (Blessed Virgin/Angel Gabriel)
- Alice Cootemezzo-soprano (Mary Magdalene)
- Paul Grovestenor (St John/Narrator)
- Jacques Imbrailobaritone (Jesus)
- David Kempsterbass-baritone (St Peter)
- Thomas Camerontenor (Apostle)
- Thomas Kellytenor (Apostle)
- Timothy Langstontenor (Apostle)
- Thomas Morsstenor (Apostle)
- Adam Playertenor (Apostle)
- Clive Bayleybass (Judas)
- Stefan Berkietabass (Apostle)
- Matthew Kellettbass (Apostle)
- Graham McCuskerbass (Apostle)
- Daniel Shelveybass (Apostle)
- Sir Mark Elderconductor
About this event
Leading Elgar interpreter Sir Mark Elder directs a stellar cast and large-scale choral forces, reviving a major work of the British choral tradition.
Elgar conceived The Apostles as a schoolboy, but the project came to fruition only in 1903 – after both The Dream of Gerontius and a visit to Bayreuth to hear Wagner’s The Ring and Parsifal. Elgar explores the inner feelings of Judas Iscariot with dramatic intensity, and Christ’s anguished cry from the cross becomes a wordless lament.
There will be one interval
Discover the Music Download a short audio guide published on the day about a key work in tonight’s Prom: Stephen Johnson talks about Elgar's The Apostles.