Anna Clyne’s 2015 orchestral work This Midnight Hour draws inspiration from two poems, one by Juan Ramón Jiménez, the other by Charles Baudelaire, to take the listener on a vivid journey.
Vilde Frang then plays Britten’s Violin Concerto, a work that’s finally emerged from the shadows and one that Frang has made her own.
Beethoven’s Pastoral Symphony makes a wonderful end to the evening, evocative in a very different but equally satisfying way. It’s a programme that demonstrates Sakari Oramo’s range and superb rapport with his orchestra.
- Cancelled: Sakari Oramo conducts Mahler’s Symphony No. 63 Oct 2020 Barbican, London
- Cancelled: Singers at Six: Goethe in Song9 Oct 2020 St Giles' Cripplegate, London
- Cancelled: BBC Symphony Orchestra with the Melodica Men9 Oct 2020 Barbican, London
- Cancelled: Lionel Bringuier conducts Prokofiev’s Symphony No. 416 Oct 2020 Barbican, London
- Cancelled: Joby Talbot’s Everest20 Jun 2020 Barbican, London
- Cancelled: Sakari Oramo conducts Stravinsky, Sibelius and Elgar22 May 2020 Barbican, London
- Cancelled: BBC Symphony Orchestra at Newbury Spring Festival9 May 2020 St Nicolas Church, Newbury
- Cancelled: Paul Lewis performs Beethoven Piano Concerto No.47 May 2020 Barbican, London